Cetirizine Hydrochloride 30 Tablets
Cetirizine is an antihistamine medicine that relieves the symptoms of allergies. It’s used to treat:
- hay fever
- conjunctivitis (red, itchy eye)
- hives (urticaria)
- reactions to insect bites and stings
- some food allergies
Cetirizine is known as a non-drowsy antihistamine. It’s much less likely to make you feel sleepy than some other antihistamines. Cetirizine is available on prescription. You can also buy it from pharmacies and supermarkets.
It comes as tablets, capsules and as a liquid that you swallow.
Cetirizine tablets and liquid that you buy from pharmacies and supermarkets can be taken by adults and children aged 6 and older. Children over the age of 2 can also take liquid cetirizine for hay fever and skin allergies. Cetirizine can also be taken under medical supervision by children aged 1 year and older.
Cetirizine isn’t suitable for some people. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you:
- have had an allergic reaction to cetirizine or any other medicines in the past
- have an allergy to the food additives E218 or E216
- have an intolerance to or can’t absorb some sugars, such as lactose or sorbitol
- have liver or kidney failure
- have epilepsy or another health problem that puts you at risk of fits
- have a condition that means you have difficulty peeing
- are booked to have an allergy test – taking cetirizine may affect the results, so you might need to stop taking it a few days before the test